Register for Avalanche Intro & Refresher Workshops at the Eagle River Nature Center:
Anchorage Avalanche Center mission: increase the safety, awareness, and recreational enjoyment of visitors to Anchorage’s backyard mountain playground (Chugach State Park) through avalanche advisories, backcountry observations, accident investigations, winter backcountry education, and community events.
Anchorage Avalanche Center vision: comprehensive avalanche information and education for backcountry recreation in Chugach State Park.
2015-16 Season Accomplishments:
- 34 avalanche advisories (every weekend December-April & additional danger updates)
- 65+ backcountry observations
- Avalanche education for 1,000+ middle and high school students
- Avalanche workshops for 100+ individuals
- 19 radio snow reports (weekly December-April) aired on eleven stations statewide
- 2 pre-recorded & 1 live television appearance on avalanche conditions & education
We need your support to build the Anchorage Avalanche Center into a sustainable institution for our local mountain community (please click here to become a member and donate)!
Win prizes for quality observations!
This incentive program will continue for the 2016-17 season! Submit your observations via the observations page, email, or via Facebook as often as possible. You don’t have to be a snow nerd; quality photos and conditions reports are as valuable as snowpits!
Know Before You Go!
Whether you’re out to shred fresh pow, climb ice, fat bike alpine trails, snowshoe, or winter hike in the high country; be mindful of snow conditions and avalanche danger!
Taking a ride in an avalanche is brutal, if not fatal. If you aren’t already “avy savvy,” or need to brush up on your avalanche assessment skills, check AlaskaSnow.org for statewide education and training opportunities near you!